Friday, July 26, 2013

Transportation Birthday Cake

My kids just turned 3 and 1 in June.  They are 2 years and 6 days apart and it's a ton of fun having them close in age.

My 3 year-old LOVES trains.  Anything to do with trains, he wants it.  My 1 year-old likes all sorts of transportation and is just starting to attach himself to cars.  So I decided to do a transportation birthday party for them.  It was a lot of fun, and my favorite part was the cake.

Here it is:



Here is the overall picture I took.  It's just really too bad that I didn't think more about the background when I took the pictures.  I'm really bad at that...


Here is a close up (and over-flashed) picture of the train I made out of Rice Krispies and fondant.  I also bought eyes for the train and car to make them a bit more cute.  I used Chocolate sprinkles for the coal in the back and I cut little circles out of oreo-type cookies for the wheels.

Here is the car that I made.  I used Rice Krispies and fondant, along with the eyes and cookie wheels. 

The road with the car led to Kade's tunnel with his 1 birthday candle.


The Chocolate flavored licorice train tracks led to Devlin's tunnel with his 3 candle.

Here's another look at it.  I almost forgot to mention the lake in the back with a licorice boat.  Wish I had gotten a close up of it! 

Here's a better picture that my sister-in-law took when the cake had been brought outside for the party.  Way better background and overall picture!!

Well, I think I learned a lot from doing this cake.  Mainly, I learned that I need to learn how to take better pictures :)  I also learned that I need a better platter to put my cakes on.  Also, I learned that I still really love creating cakes.  It's been way too long since my last cake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment